Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Another room redone

So now that the first room is done, I'm working on the other side.  I bought furniture off craigslist one night:  A 60"W chest in almost perfect condition for only $100 in Natick and two blue gray upholstered chairs for $130 in Charlestown.  Thanks go to Joe, who gamely went along with me in his truck to pick up my finds.



The chest has dovetail drawers and nice hardware. I removed the hardware so I could change it from the dark finish to a bright silver one. 

The hardware after applying silver polish

On either end, I placed two lamps that had been in the basement.  I also put two decorative plates/platters on stands.  The dried hydrangeas on the chest and ottoman are from my garden.  I used the rub n buff on the hardware - it was easy and I like how it came out.


I painted two coats of the same paint used in the living room; painted the arch and the window trim with gloss white paint.   I kept the light fixture.


The chairs were a great deal at $65 each, but the seller could have disclosed that there was wear on the arms (as seen in the photo) and pen marks on the seat cushions and side of the chair, in addition to a brownish stain on the side.  I learned that rubbing alcohol can even remove paint from clothing, so I'm going to use that to remove the marks.  I also need to touch up the finish on the legs.

Update on chairs:  I bought rubbing alcohol and it completely and easily removed the ink marks and the brown stain on the side.  I was impressed.

With a fabric remnant bought at Joann's, I had just enough to make two pillow covers, using existing pillows. 


I moved the bookcase all around the room, and finally settled on it here. Almost every photo album is here, except for a few in the chest. And that's where I put most of the books; the books that I hadn't already given away to Salvation Army, that is.  The bookcase is lined with paper I printed using a design from google images of a fleur de lis, one of my favorite designs.


Detail of bookcase
More detail of bookcase
There were two mirrors already in this room, the white oval one and the large, rectangular, silver one.  The larger one is going in the dining room, and the round wall I hung on the same wall as the bookcase.



What I had previously in this room was a sofa table purchased years ago (probably 18+) from a store in Newton, called Yield House.  It has since been refinished in a variety of stains and paints, and also refitted with new knobs.  Well, it's time for this furniture to go.  I'll see if I can find a place for it in Ryan's man cave.  Underneath the table was a stack of three woven containers, two rectangular and one oval.  I gave them a coat of glossy white paint.

I have two 16 x 20 photo frames that I bought for $16 at a consignment store.   I spray painted the frames silver.  One has a one photo mat, which I spray painted white.  I used two photos of the new chandelier in the living room and hung the prints on either side of the chest. 



On either side of the window, I hung the silver candle sconces very close to the window frame, and then hung photographs I took of flowers in my garden.




After hanging the mirror, I thought how a small white table would look nice under it, and can hold a lamp.  Instead of buying one, I took the small cabinet from my bedroom, removed the door, and painted it blue-gray.  I lined the inside with the same paper used on the bookcase.


Costs:

Chest: $100
Chairs: $130
Curtain: $20
Fabric for pillows: $7
Rub n buff for hardware: free with points
Silver pitcher: $8
Sewing box: $17
Prints and frames on either side of chest: $37
Prints on either side of window and on end table: $16

Total costs: $336