Saturday, December 3, 2011

Stretching

Metal sculpture, National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden
Washington, DC


How have I stretched myself?

The definition of stretch is "to draw out or extend to the full length or extent; to extend from one point or place to another; to lengthen or extend through tension."

Learning to ice skate has given me confidence and pride.  As a child, I had tried it and failed.  I just gave up, thinking, "I'll never learn."  Finally, at age 50 I am doing it!  And it's fun.

I first picked up a camera at age 17, when I received as a gift a Canon AE1 SLR camera.  My exploration in photography has been sporadic through the years, but the interest has always been there.  Now I'm trying to push it further, learning more about the features of my camera and also learning more of the post process.  As for the latter, I've been having fun with Photoshop Elements.  As for the former, I still need to sign up for a class.

Engaging in therapy these last two months has been difficult, but enlightening and rewarding.  It takes courage to face the demons in your past, and to learn how to conquer them.  It's a process of liking myself more.  That, let me tell you, feels wonderful.

Mariposa Grove, Yosemite